XDs 9mm Owners: Troubles with hollow point bullets | Carolina Shooters Club

XDs 9mm Owners: Troubles with hollow point bullets

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by bmarks, Aug 3, 2013.

1. bmarks

bmarks Registered Member

I wanted to check with the other XDs 9mm owners to see if you have had any issues with chambering hollow point bullets in your gun?

I have run apx. 150 rounds of FMJs through the pistol and it has been flawless. But occasionally, when loading the pistol using Hornady Critical Duty or Rangers, rounds are nosediving and getting hung up. I was thinking of trying Powerball or something more rounded.

Has anyone else experienced this? What self defense rounds have you had luck with?

I'm wanting this gun to run so I don't go back to a GLOCK 26 (which I never had issues with chambering any rounds). I really like the slim profile and size of the Springfield.

Thanks.

2. WNC Seabee

WNC Seabee Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

With my .45, you have to "smartly" work the slide. Don't ride the slide or be gentle,,slingshot that MOFO and all is good.

3. Zbizzle911

Zbizzle911 Lead Slinger

Slingshot or drop it with the slide stop and see how that works.

4. FlatFender

FlatFender Not Here Anymore. Club Subscribed

uploadfromtaptalk1375586262799.jpg

It's happened a couple times to me when loading. I've narrowed it down to the top round in the mag not being pushed all the way to the rear when the mag was inserted.

5. bmarks

bmarks Registered Member

Thanks....that's exactly how mine looks when it locks up. I'll check and re-check that the top round is seated fully to the rear of the mag.

6. 1911gobang

1911gobang Sponsor

Are the 45's having the same issue? I plan on carrying Golden Sabers in mine when I get it...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

7. drypowder

drypowder Les Deplorables Club Subscribed

Raleigh, a little east of the Fairgrounds
    And redneckpoliceman was worried about all the Shields being sold. I'll wait for the XDS 9 BST flood. :sp

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

8. sheepdog910

sheepdog910 Law Enforcement Club Subscribed

there is nothing wrong the feed ramp is steep like a 1911 like earlier comments rack that slide hard and let it go it will chamber. As far as the shield I was just wondering if there was a problem before I picked up another one.

9. 1911gobang

1911gobang Sponsor

Besides...
    XD's run better after a few hundred break-in rounds....

10. Esp62

Esp62 Member

I can only speak for my xds 45, but no stoppages so far with fmj or HP. It's ran 400 fmj (wwb and federal all 230) & approximately 65 hp. The hollow points are an approximate count, about 60%Winchester ranger +P sxt 230 grain and the rest hornady critical defense 185 Gr. They've all ran perfectly, but you can tell when you hit a +P ranger lol. I agree the slide will not tolerate riding, it likes to be handled rough! Great little pistol.

11. bmarks

bmarks Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback!

12. MacA

MacA Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Early on in the life of the XD-S .45, there were numerous posts on the SA's forum regarding this issue. I am sure your feeding issue with the 9mm is simmilar in nature. I never had the problem with mine, but here are a couple of items that were discussed...

• The machining tolerances on the XD-S are very tight. Some were manufactured on the "tighter" side of these specs. Until these guns were broken in, they were not very forgiving to soft handling of the slide. As WNC Seabee mentioned, you can't be gentle when racking the slide. Especially with a full magazine. Once these "problem" guns were operated correctly, the owners typically had no more issues.
    • SA recommends running the XD-S pretty wet with lubricant. Particularly important in the early stages (break-in) of use. I use a good gun grease on my slide rails. I usually apply too much at first...rack the slide numerous (10-20) times...then disassemble and wipe of the excess. Been a routine I have always done with my semi-auto handguns. Tends to work well for me!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

And drypowder...I think you better find a comfortable chair to wait in, 'cause that flood ain't gonna happen! :)

13. Scrunt

Scrunt U. S. Military Club Subscribed

Had a similar issue with my 45 when it was new, but after getting a few rounds through it have not had a problem again. Have run several brands of 230gr FMJ and 230gr Speer Gold Dot out of it,

14. Pumpkinslinger

Pumpkinslinger Not Subscribed

Sounds like you may have the answer but I recall that many years ago I had a S&W 59 that wouldn't feed hollow points reliably. Careful polishing of the feed ramp cured it.

15. Palmer812

Palmer812 Member

I have had the .45 for about 10 months now and have had zero problems of any kind. The only HP's I have ever ran are Ranger T's.

16. FlatFender

17. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

It did this for my hornady's, as well. I'll break out the calipers tonight to satisfy my own curiosity. Ran fine so I honestly thought maybe I rode the slide when loading it.

18. Starkherz199

Starkherz199 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have been intrigued with the XDs9...but after reading this I will have to take wait and see approach. It doesnt inspire confidence at all. Does anybody own one an approached the 1000 round mark yet? If so how'd it do.
    And...how does Gold dots work in this gun?

19. FlatFender

I'm closing in on 1000rds, probably in the 600-700rd mark now.

Fwiw, it's been 100% on the range.

20. ForumSurfer

Previous owner said 500. I've put 200 reloads and 150 steel cased Tula through it. Less than 40 of the hornady rounds. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. It wouldn't be the first time I've owned a gun that didn't like a particular brand of defense ammo. That's why we test what we carry. :)

21. spittinfire

spittinfire Well-Known Member

This seems odd to me. I’ve owned 5 XD’s and currently own 2, one being and XDs 45 and they have all eaten anything and everything I’ve given them. I have found that 500 rds seems to be the magic mark where the gun settles into what it’s going to be. I’ve never been a gun “break in” guy but all of my XD’s had the same response close to the 500 round mark. Maybe try shooting it a little more and see if anything changes.

I will agree with not babying the slide, pull it back and let it fly!

22. 1911gobang

1911gobang Sponsor

No issues with 45. And, it's a .45.....
    :p

23. ForumSurfer

Isn't that always the answer? :)

24. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

only advice I can give is this: tap your mags after you fill them, and work the slide like you mean it. Don't limp wrist it.
    The wife's XDs-9 likes WWB HPs just fine, so that's what I leave in it. And break the gun in with some FMJ with the occasional mag full of whatever you want to try to use for SD.
    You know, treat it like a mini 1911 :D

25. Notaxe

Notaxe Not Subscribed

If it's like my Sig RCS 1911, it's a combination of things. In order to make it completely reliable on racking in the first and feeding through the mag, I had to polish the ramp (because it is really steep like yours), fine tune the mags (polish the insides, feed lips etc.), and be selective as to ammo. Only the shorter HP defense ammo, and I load round nose .015" to .020" shorter than suggested COL for practice. Feeds like a dream. If I didn't really like the size and weight of it for a carry gun, it wouldn't have been worth the trouble.

26. Behindyou

Behindyou Member

Zero problems with my XDS45 and HP. I run Speer Gold Dots just fine.

27. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

good thing then, because this was about the 9mm XD-s.

28. FlatFender

Since I posted my blog post about this, I've heard from several .45 XDs owners that are having the same issue.

29. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

My XDs .45 required a slingshot of the slide to properly chamber the first round, of even ball ammo.

My 2 cents? If this is your carry weapon, keep a round chambered, if you don't already.

30. ForumSurfer

I measured my Hornady factory loads. They are the shortest OAL loads I have. They are the only ones that do this. Both bullet designs do the same thing so it isn't a hollowtip vs polymer filled tip thing. I've got to go shopping for defense ammo with my calipers now.